Hull Culture & Leisure Public Update
Updated Statement 5 January 2021
Following the Government announcement of a third national lockdown our Leisure Centres, Pools and Outdoor Sports Facilities, plus the Animal Education Centre will be closed to the public in accordance with Governments advice and guidance from Tuesday 5 January 2021. Playgrounds will remain open during the lockdown period.
We urge the public to follow all the Governments advice, guidance and the rules in place and those rules that come into place from Tuesday 5 January 2021 . We would like to thank the people of Hull for their continued efforts and ask the public to continue doing the basics in order tackle Covid-19.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Public Advice
For more help, advice and information on staying safe please click here
- Albert Avenue Pools: CLOSED
- Beverley Road Baths: CLOSED DUE TO REFURBISHMENT. REOPENING SPRING/SUMMER 2021.
- Costello Stadium (including outdoor tennis courts): CLOSED
- Ennerdale Leisure Centre (including Ennerdale Cycle Circuit): CLOSED
- Woodford Leisure Centre : CLOSED
- Waudby Centre: CLOSED
- Hull Ice Arena: CLOSED for essential maintenance, update here
- Sutton Golf Course: CLOSED
Leisure Centre Membership Update
As with previous lockdowns all Direct Debits are now paused and membership fees taken in January 2021 will be carried forward until a reopening date is confirmed.
Any customer membership questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parks & Open Spaces
Following the Government announcement of a new national lockdown commencing from Tuesday 5 January 2021, parks are open however some facilities will now be closed as per the new guidance. In addition, new guidance on socialising and exercising in parks is now in place.
- Animal Education Centre: CLOSED
- Bowling Greens CLOSED See update here.
- Playgrounds OPEN See update here.
- Outdoor Gyms CLOSED
- Fishing OPEN See update here
- Public Toilets OPEN Between 10am to 3pm daily.
- Skateparks OPEN See update here.
New Government guidance states that exercising is permitted in a public place outside the home once a day. This includes our parks and open green spaces.
You can exercise in a public outdoor place on your own, with the people you live with, with your support bubble (if you are permitted to form one), in a childcare bubble where providing childcare or when on your own, with one person from another household. Please ensure that where possible you stick to the social distancing rules of keeping two metres away from others.
Most of our Libraries will remain open during the lockdown for appointment based services and our FREE ‘Select and Collect’ service:
Libraries that will remain OPEN for their normal advertised opening hours:
- Bransholme Library: OPEN
- Central Library: OPEN
- Fred Moore Library: OPEN
- Freedom Centre Library: OPEN
- Gipsyville Library: OPEN
- Greenwood Avenue Library: OPEN
- Ings Library: OPEN
- Western Library: OPEN
Libraries will remain CLOSED until further notice
- Avenues Library: CLOSED
- East Park Library: CLOSED
- Longhill Library: CLOSED
- Waudby Library: CLOSED
Services Available from Tuesday 5 January 2021
- Select and Collect – you can access this service online or by calling Tel: 01482 210000
- Computer Access for essential use
- UKVI Visa Service
- Home Library Services
- School Library Services
- Host the running of support groups (eg to help those with mental health conditions, etc)
- Blue Badges – applications can continue to be made online or by calling 01482 300300 for an appointment
- Bus Passes – these will be done over the phone where possible
- Parking Permits – these will be done over the phone where possible
- Library services will continue to be allowed to provide services in digital / virtual form (e.g. online rhymetimes, virtual business support and webinars, Intellectual Property clinics and assessments etc). Please see our Eventbrite page for details, or follow us on social media @
Return of Library Materials
Please don’t worry if your library books, or other materials, are due for return. We won’t be charging fines on any items that will be overdue as a result of the Covid-19 situation. You can renew items online through our website if you are concerned about this. You can also browse the catalogue and use our new select and collect service.
E-books and E-magazines
Don’t forget you can access a host of e-books and e-magazines at home, these can be found online here https://www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/e-reading-and-e-audio/ebooks-eaudio-and-emagazines There are items suitable for all ages and we are adding more all the time. For example coming soon is a whole range of new children’s magazines.
You can also access a whole host of encyclopedias and business databases online with your library card. These can be found on our website here (https://www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/use-library-home).
Museums & Galleries
- Street Life Museum: CLOSED
- The Hull Maritime Museum: is now closed to the public for major redevelopment.
- Ferens Art Gallery: CLOSED
- Hull & East Riding Museum: CLOSED
- Wilberforce House: CLOSED
- Hands on History Museum: CLOSED
- Hull History Centre: CLOSED
Virtual Museum’s Collections
Why not visit our virtual museum at http://museumcollections.hullcc.gov.uk/ Explore our collections from home and discover some amazing stories about our past.
Please ensure you follow the latest government advice to stay safe www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Hull New Theatre & Hull City Hall
If you have purchased tickets within this period, please be assured that you will be contacted in due course to discuss rescheduled dates/refund options as appropriate. The team are contacting customers in date order but due to the volume of productions involved, this may take some time, so we ask that you bear with us at this busy time and refrain from contacting the Box Office, even if your event has passed.
Please keep checking the Hull Theatres’ website and social media channels for further updates over the coming weeks. Thank you for your continued support.
- Hull New Theatre: All performance cancelled from 17/03/2020 until 2021. More to follow.
- Hull City Hall : All performance cancelled from 17/03/2020 until 2021. More to follow.