Whilst public libraries can re-open for browsing from Monday 12 April 2021 we are awaiting the detailed guidance to help us ensure we have everything in place to keep you and our staff safe. Once it is published it will take us a few days to review our processes and risk assessments.
We’ll let you know as soon as possible when this will be.
In the meantime you can still access library services, here are the details of what is available and how to access it.
The following services are available by APPOINTMENT ONLY
- Select and Collect
- Computer Access - for essential use only
- Bus Passes – these will be done over the phone where possible
- Parking Permits – these will be done over the phone where possible
To make an appointment: Telephone: 01482 210000 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are also open for:
- UKVI Visa Service – appointments must be made online at https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-come-to-the-uk
- Blue Badge applications - can continue to be made online at www.hull.gov.uk/support-adults/disabled-adults/individual-blue-badge
Or, by calling 01482 300300 to make an appointment
To borrow materials - Use our FREE ‘Select and Collect’
- Online: https://www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/selectandcollect
- Telephone: 01482 210000
- Email: email@example.com
- By post: Central Library, Albion Street, Hull, HU1 3TF
You can ask for:
- A specific title, author, artist or performer,
- Tell us the type of thing you like to read, listen to, or watch and we’ll select materials to suit,
- Librarian’s choice – take potluck and be surprised!
We will need to know:
- Your library card number (the long number under the barcode).
- We might also ask for your:
- Date of birth
- Telephone Number
- We might also ask for your:
Our staff team will let you know by email or telephone when your items are ready to collect.
And don’t forget, we are always open online!
Join the library for FREE online at www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/join-library/join-library.
E-books and E-magazines
Our growing selection of e-books, e-audio books, e-magazines, e-newspapers and e-comics collection is available to you 24/7, along with a wide selection of online business databases and reference and research resources. Find them at: www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/e-reading-and-e-audio/ebooks-eaudio-and-emaga...
You can also access a whole host of encyclopaedias and business databases online with your library card. These can be found on our website here (https://www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/use-library-home).
We offer a wide range of online storytimes, business webinars, clinics and workshops, Untold Hull recordings and lots of other activities and events – visit www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/hull-libraries-14573965599 for details, or visit www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries , or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Research and Enquiry Service
If you can’t find the information you need using our online reference databases you can email or call us with your query:
Telephone: 01482 223344
Home Library Service
Home Library Service for housebound and vulnerable residents (free collection and delivery of materials at your door), for more information visit: www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/your-local-library/home-library-service
Telephone: 01482 331254
School Library Services
School Library Services are working with schools to support children to develop their love of reading. We’re constantly updating our resources and offer to support new curriculum developments, including resources to download on our website. Find out more at www.hcandl.co.uk/libraries/your-local-library/hull-schools-library-service
Protecting you and our staff
- All returned items will be quarantined for 72 hours before it is handled or made available again to the public.
- Access to our buildings will be by appointment only.
- Every customer will be required to wear a face covering and sanitise their hands as they enter the library.
- Our staff will wear a face covering and wash or sanitise their hands regularly.
- We look forward to welcoming you for your appointment. Unfortunately, you will not be able to access other services when you visit.
- There will be clear signage for you to follow and our staff will be on hand to guide you.
- Computers and equipment will be cleaned with by library staff before you use it.
Test and Trace
Following Government guidance, we will record who is present inside the library at any given time and we may need to share these details with the NHS in case someone is tested positive for COVID-19. All details will be stored safely and destroyed after 21 days.
- Browsing, study areas and meeting rooms are closed for the time being and printed newspapers and magazines are not currently available for browsing in the library – don’t forget there are lots that you can access via our website or call our Research and Enquiry line on 01482 223344.
- Live events and clubs will not be taking place, however we do have lots of online events and activities.
- If you would like us to let you know about the changes as they happen why not sign up for our newsletter.
Return of Library Materials
Please don’t worry if your library books, or other materials, are due for return. We won’t be charging fines on any items that will be overdue as a result of the Covid-19 situation. You can renew items online through our website if you are concerned about this.