***Hands on History Museum is currently closed.*** We’re delighted at the announcement that museums & galleries can start to safely open their doors this summer. We’re working to put measures in place to ensure this happens in a safe and responsible way. We’ll announce more details about a date for re-opening as soon as we can.
The Hands on History Museum, in the old Grammar School where William Wilberforce studied, houses the story of Hull and its people. Entry to the museum is free.
Hands on History includes a fascinating glimpse into Victorian times, the Story of Hull and also features the Egyptian Gallery. This gallery is home to a genuine 2,600 year old mummy and unique replicas of King Tutankhamen’s treasures.
How to find us
The Hands on History Museum is in Trinity Square, in Hull's old town, next to the Holy Trinity Church.
- Hull bus and train station (Paragon Interchange) is a 15 minute walk away. The nearest bus stop is Myton Bridge on Alfred Gelder Street.
- There are some designated Blue Badge parking spaces on South Churchside itself or on Silver Street (a 5 minute walk away).
- There is additional on street parking nearby on Market Place.
- The nearest council car parks are Osbourne Street multi-storey car park and Lowgate pay and display car park on Wilberforce Drive.
Roads and Paths
- South Churchside is a cobbled street with a paving stone pavement
While you are here
- Assistance dogs are welcome.
- There is a lift to the first floor.
- The toilets are upstairs, accessible by lift. There is a combined accessible toilet/baby change facility.
- The nearest Changing Places toilet is in Trinity Market across the square (near the Lowgate entrance).
- Some areas of the museum can be quite dark, for example the Egyptian galleries.
- There is a manual wheelchair available to borrow.
- Braille and sign language alphabet blocks are available in the Victorian storytelling area.
- Many resources such as books and puppets located in the Victorian storytelling area on the raised balcony can be brought down onto the ground floor for use by visitors with mobility restrictions.
- Our gift shop offers a range of Egyptian and Victorian related giftware and books for all ages.