***Christmas and New Year - our museums and gallery will be closed 24 - 28 December inclusive, and 1 January***
The permanent displays at Wilberforce House include journals and items that belonged to William Wilberforce, including original costume. There are many significant items linked to slavery and the campaign to abolish it.
How to find us
Wilberforce House is in the Museums Quarter on High Street in Hull’s Old Town. It is near the Streetlife and Hull and East Riding Museums, next to the River Hull.
- Hull bus and train station (Paragon Interchange) is a 15 – 20 minute walk away. The nearest bus stop is Myton Bridge on Alfred Gelder Street.
- There is on street blue badge parking on Gandhi Way (formerly George Yard) approximately 50m away from the entrance to the museums and Alfred Gelder Street (opposite the White Hart pub).
- Short stay pay and display parking is available at Lowgate car park on Wilberforce Drive, just a five minute walk away.
- We have limited mini bus parking available. Please telephone 01482 616 657 to book and discuss your requirements. You can also email us at email@example.com
Roads and Paths
- The entrance to Wilberforce House Museum is level access.
- High Street has dropped kerbs at the Museums Quarter entrances.
While you are here
- Assistance dogs are welcome.
- The Wilberforce House building is largely wheelchair accessible. The ground floor and majority of the first floor are fully accessible. Three galleries on the first floor are not accessible via the lift. In addition a number of thresholds upstairs are too narrow for larger electric wheelchairs.
- Some areas of the museum can be quite dark; upstairs some of the rooms have dark wood walls and the middle passage part of the slavery galleries is quite dark.
- There is a set of toilets (including a combined accessible toilet/baby changing facility) through the main entrance opening on to the gardens.
- The nearest Changing Places toilet is on the ground floor of the Guildhall. Please ask at the reception for directions.
- We have a manual wheelchair available to borrow.