Public Notice: In the interest of public safety and social distancing vehicle access to Pickering Park will remain closed until further notice. We thank you for understanding our current guidance, and encourage users to enjoy our parks and other green spaces in a safe and responsible manner.
Come and join the fun at Pickering Park, home to a fishing lake, playgrounds, outdoor gym and a paddling pool (open during the summer).
Pickering Park was founded by Christopher Pickering and officially opened on 13 July 1911. Christopher made his fortune as a merchant and ship owner, particularly in the Hull fish trade.
Magnificent iron gates mark the entrance to the park. Fortunately, they were considered too important to use as scrap during the war effort. On the gates, you can see a shield with a lion, the same as on the Pickering family crest.
Pickering Park also has beautiful ornamental gardens and a wildlife pond.
Fishing at Pickering Park
The fishing lake at Pickering Park is now re-open for fishing but under new rules in line with Government guidance. Please be aware of the new rules before fishing at Pickering Park:
- Anglers must remain at least 15 metres apart when fishing. Fishing pegs are only to be shared with people from the same household. Sharing with people from other households is prohibited.
- Keepnets and competitive fishing is still not allowed.
- Fishing tackle must not be shared.
- Anglers must still maintain social distancing rules (2 metres distance between other people) at all times and follow the Government hand washing guidance.
- Anglers still require a valid Environment Agency license and day ticket/season pass in order to fish on any of our lakes.
- Please be aware that some parks facilities including toilets and parking bays may not be available. Please consider this when planning to go fishing.
Failure to follow the guidance set out will result in Anglers being asked to leave the site.
Buy your fishing pass online
You can now purchase Annual Pass and Day Tickets online using the button at the bottom. Please read the following instructions before purchasing:
- To purchase an Annual Membership please select the APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP button, then select the Golf, Parks, Fishing and Pitches option.
- To purchase an Adult or Concession Day Ticket please select the GUEST LOGIN button, then select the Golf, Parks, Fishing and Pitches option.
Enjoy the playground at Pickering Park
As well as the lake and the gardens, Pickering Park has a play area containing swings, a spinning bowl and an activity centre. You can find out more about our play areas in your local neighbourhood by visiting the Playgrounds and Play Areas page here.
Get Active at Pickering Park
Did you know that Pickering Park has a variety of outdoor sports and physical activities you can take part in?
Alongside the playing fields which are perfect for football, rounders and other sports, Pickering Park also has an outdoor gym and a permanent orienteering route. Great for keeping you active, staying healthy and enjoying the outdoors! Find out more at our Outdoor Sports Activities page here.
How to find Pickering Park
Pickering Park is located to the west of the city approximately three miles outside the city centre.
Access to the park is level and pathways are mainly level with some easy to moderate slopes as you travel round.
Assistance dogs are welcome.
There is a toilet block with male, female, child and disabled toilets located next to the paddling pool.
Baby changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet.