The Ferens Art Gallery has reopened!
The Ferens has a magnificent collection of paintings and sculptures, including works by European Old Masters, portraiture, marine painting, and modern and contemporary British art.
Highlights include masterpieces by Lorenzetti, Frans Hals, Antonio Canaletto, Frederic Lord Leighton, Stanley Spencer, David Hockney, Helen Chadwick and Gillian Wearing.
With a regular programme of events, guided tours and changing exhibitions, there’s always something new to explore. You can also enjoy refreshments in our popular cafe, Venue Hull.
Entry by advanced online booking only
Please book online and in advance. This is to help us manage the number of people, limit queuing and reduce contact.
How to book
- Tickets will be available at 15 minute intervals (with a maximum of 8 tickets available per interval)
- Timeslots are available every 15 minutes Monday-Saturday 10am-3pm, Sunday 11am-2.30pm
- Each visit is limited to one hour.
- We’ll send your booking confirmation by email. Please make sure you fill in your correct email address when you book to ensure you receive your confirmation email
- Tickets can be booked by clicking the link below or alternatively by phoning 01482 616 398
- Please note we will be collecting the name and phone number and email address for the lead member of each party and their entry times to the gallery in line with the NHS’s Test and Trace system. Data will be kept for 21 days and then destroyed securely. All data will be handled in line with GDPR.
Please ensure you read the following information before your visit.
Your safety is our priority
We have made a few changes that put your safety, as well as the safety of our staff, first. These are some of the additional safety and hygiene measures we have put in place:
The number of visitors to our gallery has been reduced so you can maintain social distancing during your visit. Please follow guidance on any signage placed around the site and act on any guidance our staff may give you.
You are encouraged to wear face coverings, for your safety and the safety of other visitors and staff.
If you're feeling unwell
If you or anyone you live with displays symptoms associated with COVID-19, please do not visit; delay your visit until it is safe to do so.
Hand sanitiser stations
Hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance to our gallery and at regular intervals, for you to use. You will be asked by our staff to use hand sanitiser on arrival. If you prefer to use your own hand sanitiser please ensure you show it to our staff on arrival.
The frequency of our cleaning throughout our gallery has been increased, including toilets and other facilities. Sites will be cleaned thoroughly before opening and at regular intervals during the day. Toilets will be cleaned hourly. We have tried to minimise the need to touch surfaces, however where this is not possible please follow any guidance and signage.
Protection for our staff
Gloves and eye protection have been introduced for our staff when greeting our visitors and carrying out cleaning.
A new experience
We are the same experience but with added social distancing, one-way routes and a contactless experience.
For your safety and the safety of other visitors, parts of our museums and gallery are currently closed to the public; this includes any interactive or handling elements.
We apologise for any disappointment this may cause but we are sure you will appreciate that we must put the safety of our visitors and staff first. We hope to be able to re-open these areas once it is safe to do so.
For more information about the new visit experience please download our visitor information maps
To ensure a safe visit for everyone please…
- Use the one way system
- Follow any signage placed around the site
- Act on any guidance our staff may give
- Respect social distancing during your visit
- Use the hand sanitiser located at the entrance and at regular intervals throughout the museum
- Limit the items you bring to the museum and keep your belongings with you at all times.
- Stay safe
- When you arrive
- Please have your ticket ready to show staff, printed or on your phone.
- Please arrive on time for your pre-booked timeslot. If you’re more than 15 minutes late than the start time of your timeslot we may not be able to guarantee entry to the site.
- When you arrive we may ask you to queue for a short time before entering the site. This is to ensure social distancing of visitors when entering the museum.
During your visit
- We are operating a one way system and request that you follow any signage that has been placed around the site.
- Please ensure you follow social distancing rules during your visit.
- Please use the hand sanitiser which is located at the entrance and at regular intervals throughout the gallery. If you are unable to use our hand sanitiser please ensure you bring your own and show our Front of House staff on arrival.
- Please limit the items you bring and keep your belongings with you at all times
- Unfortunately we’ve not been able to open all the areas of the gallery. For example, first floor areas at all sites are currently closed to the public. We apologise for any disappointment this may cause but you will appreciate that we must put the safety of our visitors and staff first.
- For more information about the new visit experience please download our visitor information maps
Facilities and amenities
We aim to make access to our gallery enjoyable and welcoming to the widest possible public.
- Please be aware that some of our staff may be wearing face masks or eye protection which can impact on their ability to communicate clearly. If you have any issues please ask for further assistance.
- If you have any special access requirements please let us know when booking your ticket or you can call to discuss your needs on 01482 616 398
- Please note we are still welcoming assistance dogs
- Need help booking ticket(s)? Call us on 01482 616 398
Full information on how to book tickets and what to expect from your visit can also be found below.
Audio Guides can be made available on request, so we can ensure they are clean and safe for you to use. Call us on 01482 616 398
If you prefer you can download the following apps in advance of your visit.
Cloakrooms and buggy parks
Travel light and only bring what you need as we are not able to provide cloakroom or buggy storage. This is to help keep you and our staff safe.
Please note toilets and baby changing facilities are currently limited across our museum and gallery sites.
For more information about toilet facilities at each site please download our visitor information maps
Explore our collections
Explore a sample of our collections before your visit:
Feel free to take photographs for personal, non-commercial use, unless a sign says you shouldn't. Please share your visit on social media by tagging us in on Twitter: @HullFerens, Facebook: Hull Museums and Instagram @FerensArtGallery.
How to find us
The Ferens Art Gallery is right in the city centre of Hull in Queen Victoria Square. It is near the Maritime Museum and Hull City Hall.
- Please follow the latest guidelines on travel and public transport.
- Hull bus and train station (Paragon Interchange) is a 10 minute walk away. The nearest bus stop is Myton Bridge on Alfred Gelder Street.
- Short stay pay and display parking is available at Lowgate car park on Wilberforce Drive, just a 5 minute walk away.
- There is on street parking on Saville Street and 9 designated disabled parking spaces on Paragon Street (behind City Hall).
Roads and Paths
- Ferens Art Gallery has ramp entrance with a shallow incline.
While you are here
- Assistance dogs are welcome.
- There is another a set of toilets to the right of the café space at the rear of the building, including a combined accessible toilet/baby change and unisex cubicles.
- The nearest Changing Places toilet is in the Wilson Centre, to the left as you go in the Queens Gardens entrance. There is an additional Changing Places toilet at the Guildhall. Please ask at the reception for directions.
- We have a manual wheelchair available to borrow
- We have an audio descriptive guide of gallery highlights. You can borrow a handset (and headphones) for a £5 returnable deposit from staff in the lobby. You can download the audio tracks to your phone by visiting https://vocaleyes.co.uk/venues/ferens-art-gallery/
- Our gift shop offers a variety of postcards, cards and prints, plus a selection of art and craft books.
Our Cafe area is currently closed to the public and will reopen when it is safe to do so.